- Smelly feet and stinky socks are attractive to certain kinds of mosquitoes – much like Limburger cheese!
- All mosquitoes require water to complete their life cycle. Some species will fly up to 40 miles from the breeding site for a blood meal, while others will travel only about 150 yards to feed.
- Mosquitoes fly an estimated 1-1.5 miles per hour but can be carried long distances by the wind.
- Movement increased mosquito biting activity up to 50% in one study, while a full moon elevated mosquito activity about 500% in another.
- The eggs of some species can remain dormant up to a year or more, then hatching when they are flooded.
Here are 5 mosquito fun facts from our very own Captain Stan the Mosquito Man: